@00 WON'T SHIFT WHEN WARM

2000 Dodge Neon

2000 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

Hi.I have a 2000 Dodge neon with approximately 185,000 miles only about 85,000 on a rebuilt transmission. Over the past 2-3 months the transmission will not down shift smoothly from 3rd to 1st when I come to a stop if left in drive. If I manualy shif into 2nd it works fine. It also (when warmed up) will not shift from 2nd to 3rd unless I let off the gas for a second or two. Finally at highway speeds it will occationally down shift from 3rd to 2nd without warning and if I try to pass oit may also shift all the way into 1st. I have changed the fluid and filter with a slight bit of improvement. I will change it again to try to remove more fluid form the converter. Could it be the speed sensor of shift solenoid? The car is not worth the cost of replacing the transmission again. Any help would be great
Appojuce

Need to have it scanned to see if the PCM has recorded any faults in the transmisison. Does the speedometer work properly when it is acting up?

Jack42
Hi. Thanks for the help. The codes that came up were P1684, P0743 and P0551.P1743 I beleive is a electrical fault for the torque converter solenoid and P0551 was for power steering and I cound not find P1684. Do I need to change the converter soledoid? Where would I find it? The speedometer works fine. Thanks again for the help

Appojuce
P0551- P/S switch failure...... that can wait
P0743-Torque converter clutch solenoid/trans relay circuit
P1684- i couldnt find either.lol

The Trans code takes a scan tool to help diagnose. You need the ability to command functions on and off to see voltages and resistances.You can check a few things without the scanner.Heres a pic of the connector to test at, and the wire colors

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_tcc_1.jpg

key off, unplug connector, use a meter to check for system voltage at fused ignition output(dark blue/white wire).Should be greater than 10 volts, if not there is a problem with the feed circuit.The orange adn black wire is the control circuit, use the meter to measure rsistance in the wire from connector to the PCM (powertrain control module) looks liek itis pin #78 in connector 2, wire reamins orange/black. if resistance is more than 5 ohms repair the wire. Nowis when you ned thescanner to command it (TCC solenoid) on so you can check for power at eh plug

Jack42