TIMING BELT ROUTINE

1998 Dodge Neon

Computer problem
1998 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

I need to replace the timing belt and near the end of the procedure, these instructions are given.
o Step 1: Connect the DRB scan tool to the data link (diagnostic) connector. This connector is located in the passenger compartment; at the lower edge of instrument panel; near the steering column.
o Step 2: Turn the ignition switch on and access the " miscellaneous" screen.
o Step 3: Select re-learn cam/crank option and follow directions on DRB screen.

My scan tool only reads and does not run any diag routines. Is there a way to force the ECM to re-learn the cam/crank whatever without a scan too and what are the consequences if this routine is not performed?
Atinius

First of all thank you so much for your donation.I need to know what the 8th digit of your vin is and we can go from there.

Y

2.0L DOHC

Atinius
I have the same thing listed to relearn the crank/cam position sensor with the drb scan tool.I don't see it listed to relearn it any other way. If you don't relearn it then it could set a code and not run properly.I would have it relearned after you replace the belt. They sell those Drb scan tool's on ebay sometimes pretty reasonable.