TIMING

2002 Dodge Intrepid

2002 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Crank timing mark is " lined" with cam gear timing mark. When motor is turned 1 full cycle, timing marks do not stay " lined.&Quot; Additionally, there is no compression at all, except for 1 cylinder. I have heard that it takes 60 revolutions before the timing marks are " lined.&Quot; (1) engine has been disassembled and we are reassembling. (2) All fluids have been drained. Any help on timing and compression is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Eastsideautorepair

It takes 720degs to complete the engine 4 strokes in each cylinder.

Did you put the engine no.1 piston on its compression stroke before you align the cam and crank.

Yes, engine no. 1 piiston on its compression stroke before aligning the cam and crank. All cylinders were presurred tested and no leaks detected. Assembly of engine was completed.

Car would not start when engine cranked. IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS NO COMPRESSION.

Are there any codes that need erasing? Any other tests/checks we need to try? Thanks for your help.

Eastsideautorepair
If you're getting the correct fuel pressure and fuel is being delivered into the cylinders and with proper ignition spark-it points back to valve and ignition timing problem.-Have you inspected the T/timing belt?

I was wondering if you ever found what was causing this? I'm having the same problem to! Thanks

Rmitch37
Think about this logically. If it really took 60 revolutions for the timing marks to line up again, the cylinder would only produce a power pulse once every 60 revolutions. That would be really fantastic as far as fuel mileage is concerned, but you'd be pushing the car by hand.

Did you notice that the camshaft sprockets are not 60 times bigger than the crankshaft sprocket? In fact, the cam sprockets have exactly twice as many teeth as the crank sprocket. Reread what rasmataz said about 720 degrees. That's two revolutions of the crankshaft. Your timing marks will line up after every two revolutions of the crankshaft.

Did you use the special spacer when you installed the crankshaft position sensor? The air gap is critical. Without the spacer, it is possible on some engines to push the sensor in too far. It will hit the spinning flex plate and be destroyed. Instant no-start.