BRAKES

1992 Dodge Dynasty

Brakes problem
1992 Dodge Dynasty 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 20000 miles

I replaced my front brakes with standard brake pads as I did last year. When I pushed the bushing back on both the left & right brakes I noticed the rubber seal was missing. I have filled the car with Dot 3 brake fluid, no fluid leaks out but the car does not stop like it should & I have to press the brake pedal to the floor. The brake light now stays on & I can not seem to build up enough pressure. Can you help me solve this problem?

Fred
Fredzwa

Hi: I'm not sure what bushing you are refering to. Is it on the caliper slide where the caliper bolt goes through? Or are you refering to the rubber boot around the caliper piston?

As far as the brake pedal, it could be a couple things. First, you said there are no leaks. When you compressed the caliper piston back in to the caliper, did you loosten the bleeder valve or allow the fluid to return to the master cylender?

Also, I want you to check the carpet under the dashboard, (drivers side) where the brake rod (attached to the pedal) goes through the firewall to the brake booster. Check to see if there is any evidence of brake fluid.

Finally, are the rear brakes properly adjusted?

As far as the brake light, make sure there is fluid in the master cylender.

If you can answer these questions, I would be able to help you better.