AC GETS WARM WHEN THE REAR AC IS ON

2003 Dodge Durango

Air Conditioning problem
2003 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

The AC works fine when the front AC is on. When I turn the rear AC on, it does not matter what blower speed, the air starts getting warm. I looked over the compressor and found that the compressor cycles quickly whenever the rear AC is on. I checked pressures and the pressures seem okay when the compressor is on but are high when it is off.
E5fornow

Hi e5fornow. Welcome to the forum. This sounds typical for the system to be low on charge. Look on top of the receiver / drier for a tiny sight glass. If there are vapor bubbles, the system is low. This only works on Chryslers. Fords also use a sight glass but there will be bubbles even when the system is fully charged.

I could not find the window, I looked on top of the I believe the accumalator but did not see anything. I added about half a bottle and the ac clutch disengaged and started to cycle. After I shutdown and restarted I had oil and freon venting out of the back of the compressor whenever it would engage. I shut it down and inspected the tube connections to the compressor they looked fine, I did see a hole on the back of the compressor where I think it was venting from. When I get more time I will have to clean all the oil up and I will take a better look with the intake off. I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine who never heard of a compressor with a 'blow off valve' I did vent the system on the low pressure side and retried the ac and everything is working now I get cold air with both the front and the rear ac on. Have you ever heard of the compressor venting or did I blow out a seal?

E5fornow
The pressure relief valve should be on the receiver / drier. I can't imagine what would be leaking on the compressor. The only seal is on the front behind the clutch.