TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT PAST 2ND GEA

2001 Dodge Durango

2001 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 69450 miles

Hey, I have the 45rfe that when it tries to shift past 2nd just revs engine. I have a code, that is P0733, gear 3 incorrect ratio. Anyway I dropped oil pan, and found the OD accumulator piston laying there. When I dropped the valve body I saw that all the bolts for the Accum plate were loose, and had bent plate back. I installed a shift kit replacing all seals and accum plate. However, when I put everything back together, I still have same problem. Also, pan was totally clean no metal, nothing and oil was ok. I dont know where to go from here. Took to shop, and his guess was valve body problem. Help!
Freegb1

Hi freegb1,

Thank you for the donation.

In 3rd speed, the elements in use are the Underdrive and Overdrive clutches.

Is the trouble code still the same?

Under drive clutch is used by 1st and 2nd speed as well so you have a possible OD clutch or its pressure lines.

Was the OD accumulator piston damaged when it dropped off?
You would need to perform a line pressure test for the OD clutch to confirm the line pressure. Special tools would be required.

You can perform a clutch pressure test to confirm if the clutch is operating correctly.

CLUTCH AIR PRESSURE TESTS
Test Preparation
Remove valve body.

CAUTION:Ensure air supply is free of all dirt and moisture.

Test Procedure
Apply 30 psi (2.1 kg/cm2 ) of air pressure to each test passage. See Fig. 5 . If clutch is functioning properly, a soft thump should be heard as clutch is applied. Clutch application can also be felt by touching the appropriate element while applying air pressure. As air pressure is released, clutch should also release. By comparing road test, hydraulic pressure test and clutch air pressure test information, area of fault may be closely identified.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_AirPressureTest01DurangoFig05_1.jpg

Yes, the same code has been present both before and after repair, even after I disconnected battery during repair.

Also I inspected the piston closely, and didnt see any damage, as well all the other pistons when I replace the seals.

Freegb1
It could be a faulty valve body but it would be better to test the clutch with air pressure to confirm there is nothing wrong with them.

When 3rd clutch is not engaging, the code would come up. If there are other trouble codes, they have to be checked as well.

Ok, as soon as I saw your post, I went out and dropped pan and VB again. I tested every port, and I had the thump you described at every one except rev(which just spewed fluid everywhere, not sure if result is typical), and when I applied pressure to the OD port, a metal ring moved forward with the air, and moved back when released. I dont know if this what is supposed to happen.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/563850_pressure_check_1.jpg

Freegb1
To OD clutch seems to be good as the movement is what it should be doing when air pressure is applied but for the low reverse clutch, if fluids are spewing everywhere with no thumpimg noise to indicate the clutch is engaging, it indicates there is a leakage.

Retest the Low Rev clutch again to see if there is a thumping. Sometimes I there are excessive fluids, they might spew out a little but ensure a thumping noise is present.

Ok, I rechecked, and what happens when I apply pressure to the reverse clutch port, is that same object that moved forward with pressure to the OD port, moved to the reverse.
Also to be clear, the fluid mess was a result of the pressure around the tip of my air nozzle, not inside transmission

Freegb1
At least the clutches seems to be good so the next thing to do would be to test the pressure lines which requires special tools.
If you do not have the equipment to test, we will have to skip it first and proceed with the valve body checks. If you are able to get a valve body to test, that would be the best way to go about.

Did you check the accumulator valve springs for dfects/damage?

I believe you have a repair manual for the transmission?

I have the manual, I downloaded. As to the VB, when I put the shift kit in, I replaced all piston seals, replaced 4 springs, and inspected all parts before putting new accumulator plate on. The kit supplied the springs, so I replaced them. There was no damage to the old springs either.

Freegb1
The problem now is either line pressure leakage or the valve body is not working correctly.

Was the valve body checked/disassembled?

Ok, I was able to secure am entire VB with solenoid pack, but it wont be here for a couple days. Is there anything else I can check in reference to the line pressure while waiting for VB?

Freegb1
Page 1 of 2