CHARGING PROBLEMS

1985 Dodge Daytona

1985 Dodge Daytona 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 102000 miles

well I have bought 2 alternators and I still have problems with my battery keeping charge. I go to work in the morning and by the time I get there I have to switch my battery to get back home because it has no charge. My work is only 25 miles away and I don't have anything else on but the essentials. Like I said I replaced the alternator, I don't know if its the computer near the battery. I don't know what to do. Please give me a few examples of what problems it might be and the solutions. I am very desperate. Thank you.

victorrono
Victorrono

Hi there,

You will have to do a current draw test. Remove the battery (+) and place an Amp meter between battery (+) and the removed cable, with key off and doors closed you should only have about.15 Amps max. If more there is a current draw any be a stuck relay. To locate pull fuses one at a time to locate the problem circuit. Then you will have somewhere to start looking.
It could be the regulator. I would have the system checked at a parts store. They have the equipment to let you know what is wrong.
If you have any other questions, let me know.

Mhpautos