TOO MANY CONVERTERS

Dodge Dakota

I have had to replace the catalytic converter on my 1992 Dodge Dakota, milage about 170,000 three times in the last five years. I am now on my fourth converter and have had to put on well over ten mufflers. What is causing my exhaust system to wear out so often. What do I need to do to stop this cycle.
Timmis

Hi there,

What is the reason for the mufflers and cats being changed. Cat's collapsing? Mufflers rusting? Internal failures? Falling off? That many exhaust repairs is a joke. I need to know what is failing to get a better idea as to what may be happening.

Mhpautos
On one of the converters the heat shield came apart, on all of the others the ceramic just broke down and collapsed. As for the mufflers they have all been rusted out. Most were rusted from underneath but a couple started on either end. You're very correct that this many repairs is a joke. I started with one of those chain mufflers shops that put a guarantee on parts and labor until they decided that I was costing them too much and grandfathered a policy change that eliminated the warranty.
I've worked on as much of the emmisions system as I can afford with only the EGR valve left to replace. Any suggestions would be a great helpl.

Timmis
Hi there,

If you get an exhaust gas analyzer reading that may shine some light on to the cat problem, as far as the muffler goes, I don't think I need to advise you to stay clear of cheap chain store exhausts. Get something worth while, even the extra expense of stainless steel, that will out last you!

Good luck

Mhpautos