COLD WEATHER DRIVELINE SQUEAL

2003 Dodge Dakota

2003 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 80,000 miles

At -15C and colder there is a high pitched squeal from the driveline. &Quot; Slipping" the clutch alleviates the problem, as does shifting gears up or down, RPM and speed combination dependant. Load factor not always a reliable indicator. No problems in warmer temps. Anybodies thoughts?

thanks, gator_fn
Gator_fn

Can you tell aprox where it is coming from, front, rear, center, engine?

Let me know.

As near as I can tell ( head out R & L windows ), transmission/bellhousing.

Gator_fn
If the problem is noise coming from the clutch system, a simple test can identify the source of the noise before you tear into the system. There are two potential bearing-noise makers in the clutch system-the release bearing and the pilot bearing. To determine which one, if either, is making the noise follow these steps: Step 1 With the engine running and the transmission in neutral, if the noise occurs it is in the transmission, most likely the front bearing supporting the input shaft.

Step 2 If that is not the problem, place your foot on the clutch pedal and begin to depress the pedal. If you begin to hear the noise at this point, the problem is the clutch release bearing. If not, proceed to the next step.

Step 3 Push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. If you hear the noise at this point it is the pilot bearing or bushing. If you do not hear any noise during this test, the problem is not in the clutch system. Identifying these conditions early before removing and replacing the components goes a long way toward preventing a recurrence of the problem.

Let me know what you find.

Joe, sorry I missed what may be a key element for troubleshooting. This problem only occurs with the vehicle in motion and at temperatures below - 15 C ( -10 F or so). It's noticeable @ +/- 1800-2000 RPM at 80-100 km/hr in 4th and 5th ( OD) and 1300-1500 at 50km/hr in 3rd through 5th.

Sound does not occur in warmer temperatures, only the cold winters in northern B.C, Canada where I live.

Gator_fn