CHARGING SYSTEM

2000 Dodge Dakota

2000 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

Please, I could use your advice. My 2000 Dakota V8 5.9l has been giving me problems. My alternator was squealing and my headlights would dim when the compressor on the defrost would start. Then my check gauges light came on spiradically, and the voltage guage was showing no charge.
I swapped out the alternator, squealing stopped I thought I had it fixed. Next day the same thing with the idiot light and the no charge. I would shut the engine off and restart and I would get it charging but it would cut in and out. Yesterday I am filling up with gas and my interior lights all came on on their own. Help me please, is this my computer? I dread the answer. Thanks for the reply and the service you offer.

Greg
Gldavison

Have you had the problem with it squealing after changing the alt? I know you said it went away, but has it come back? Here are a few things to check: first check the a/c compressor and see if it is locking up. It sounds like it is putting too much of a load on the engine. Also check the belt tensioner. If the tensioner is not tight enough, when the a/c compressor kicks on, it may cause the belt to slip. Check these two things and post back you findings. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Flexy5