5.2 318 STARTING ISSUES AFTER WET WEATHER

1999 Dodge Dakota

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota with a 5.2 liter 318. I have been having problems starting after wet conditions after the truck has been sitting for a day. I have automotive experience and I am very good at trouble shooting. I have replaced the distributor cap, rotor button, and plug wires and spark plugs last year. I might have put 10k on since. It started great all summer and I use it as a work truck. It is a gas aholic so I commute with a car. I love my truck but I am getting frustrated with the issue. Dodge trucks in there older years always had moisture issues. This truck was doing great up until recently. I have replaced the fuel pump a few years ago because it failed on me on the road. It almost seems like its not firing the gas. I think because it sits more now that something has become corroded. If that was the case it wouldn't start in any weather. On a dry day it starts within seconds. I don't see any bad wires or connections. It does start after turning it over a lot. I mean a lot. What should I look for? Is this still a mopar issue? Is there something I spay to dry it out? It does run great after it starts.
Thank you
M2424j

We need to know for sure if it has spark or not. If it does, get a noid light and test for injector pulse. Get back with what you come up with

Jack42
I haven't purchased a noid light kit yet. We also haven't had rain since I posted last time so the truck has started right up. However I did make a purchase with an auto scanner plus tool made by Actron. It was on sale and thought this may help with all the cars in my family. When I took the truck out on the highway I mashed the gas and it did spit and sputter. The engine light came on and stayed on. I connected the scanner and it told me I had multiple misfires. I had a misfire with #4 cylinder and #7 cylinder. There were no other codes. We are going to get a big snow storm tomorrow. If it doesn't start I will connect the scanner. I have new plugs, wires, and distributor cap and rotor button. I will continue to try isolated the problem. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Matthew

M2424j
Keep us posted on the results

Jack42
It is snowing here now. I had a hard time starting the truck today. I use it for plowing our driveway. I didn't get an engine code until I drove to my parent’s house. It spit and sputtered enough to make the light come on. Again it was the P0300 multi misfire and P0304 which is cylinder 4 misfire and P0306 cylinder 6 misfire. This happens driving down the road low RPM then giving it lots of gas to fast it is spitting. That caused the engine light. It will also spit and sputter from idle flooring it real quick. It comes out of it around 4K RPM. If you give it gas slow in park it doesn't spit and sputter. I took # 4 plug out and it looked beautiful. Nice golden tan brown. There wasn't a bit of carbon on it. I am wondering if it could be the distributor Pick up or the coil. I don’t think it's the coil but it does look beat. Like you said it could be the injectors not keep up or working when they need to. I know it’s not the computer because I have an extra 1 with the performance chip that makes me run high octane. It does the same thing with each module. I think it’s the wet weather that keeps throwing me off. I tarpped the truck and it didn't help this morning. What ever it is it is very sensitive to moisture after sitting for a day. It's in the electrical. I did put dry gas in the truck just to be sure.

M2424j
Problem solved. I replaced the coil because of how bad it looked. It turns out it was cracked underneath in 2 locations. It runs great no spitting or sputtering. I purchased the part at NAPA for $50.
Thank you
Matthew

M2424j