TRUCK SPEEDOMETER

1987 Dodge Dakota

My 1987 Dakota truck speedometer is not working and everything else on the cluster works. I checked/traced the cable down to the transmision and everything looks good. Should I buy a used cluster and replace my existing one?
Angel

Hey there,

thought this idea may help you. I have a 85 ram 150 custom that I am restoring. My speedometer went out as well. It was bouncing and wining really bad. First of all you need to take your cluster panel out so you can geat the cable were in plugs in to your panel through the fire wall.
Un plug it and undo the cable hooks under the hood. Pull your cable through the fire wall so you can crab it from under the hood. You want to get it as straight as possible for the next step. Inside the main cable is a thin wire, with a pair of needle nose pliars pull the thin wire out all the way. You may have to twist it a bit on the other end (transmission end) their is an allen head that locks in. After you have pulled it out, grease it put oil inside the main cable. 10w40, slick 50 or general greese is fine. Install in reverse order makek sure you turn the cable back and forth to get it to lock back in

Kjb