ENGINE OIL TYPE

Dodge Caravan

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L engine, automatic transmission, with approx 47,000 miles on it.

I recently had my oil & filter changed. Less than 2000 miles later, the engine began running slightly rough and shifting was erratic. I took my car to the dealer and, after computer diagnostic, the service rep informed me the onboard computer said the oil change business had put in the wrong oil. Because I didn't have any paper work on me, I paid $353 to have the engine drained and flushed and refilled.

When I returned home, I checked the service invoice and found the oil used at the previous oil change was 5W-20, exactly as specified in my owner's manual, the same type I've always used.

How does the computer measure oil viscosity during engine operation? Does this part fail frequently? No one I have talked to has ever heard of an " oil viscosity sensor, " but I get lots of chuckles when I ask.
Welopez

If you come up with the code, I will tell you what it means, how's that? I personally hav'nt hear of a viscosity sensor either!

Merlin2021
Well, naturally the service rep didn't bother to provide a code, he just said the computer is telling them the engine has the wrong type oil. I'm just a dumb country hick. Not a mechanic, and I'm not inclined to disagree with " factory trained service personnel.&Quot; I'm 62 and retired, my previous experience has been as a paratrooper in the Army and a pit boss in Las Vegas. I can't say for certain that I've fallen for a scam or the facts were misrepresented by the dealer, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

I realize it's possible to measure oil viscosity under laboratory conditions, but I don't see any easy method to measure multi-viscosity oils under different operating temperatures. I would think the computer senses oil pressure within a normal operating range, but little more. If I'm wrong. This will be a learning experience for me, but I don't think it's worth $353! LOL!

Welopez
You may go down as one of the most expensive oil changes in history!

Merlin2021
Well, I'm sure most people will admit, I've paid for the most expensive oil change in history. I was not expecting the dealership for one of the major auto manufacturers to resort to " scam" techniques.

I have since taken the vehicle to an independent garage and purchased the Dodge service manual for my vehicle. Now I have another problem.

On page 8E-15 of the manual, Fig 17 shows the PCM located in the engine compartment just forward of the battery. It's a very pretty picture. The problem is my vehicle has no PCM in that location, just two mounting holes which do not appear to ever have been used. I would say this is impossible in a vehicle with 46,000 miles.

Now what do I do?

Welopez