WILL NOT START

2003 Dodge Caravan

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

recently installed used motor, have fuel pressure, when turning the motor over it sounds like it is backfiring and does not have continuos fire on cylinders 2 & 5. It trys to start but does not, could the used motor be out of time, it is a 3.3L flex fuel.
Springdale

You could have a bad couple of plugs, a coil pack problem, two bad ignition wires, even the coil or injector drivers in the powertrain control module may be faulty.
Of course, if the engine has low compression or low fuel pressure, it will also cause two to miss, or six. I would test fuel pressure and make sure it is at least 50 or 55 psi then I would see if the plugs are no good. Each coil circuit controls two cylinders so follow the ignition wires back from 2 and 5. I think if valve timing was off, it would cause all the cylinders to run terrible. Test compression to test a engine for it's efficiency. Ok did the engine come out of a vehicle of the same year with the same computer?

Ch112063
Sounds like the wrong flex plate or the center is cracked and it has turned a little.

The problem with no start, Its a 2003 model and the motor that was sent is out of a 2004 model. The difference between the 2 is the cam gear. It was changed in the 2004 model. After changing the cam gears it started with no problem.I hope this will help someone else that has this problem.

Springdale
Yeah, thanks for taking your time to post this information. And good luck to you with the van.

Ch112063