STRUT REPLACEMENT

2002 Dodge Caravan

Suspension problem
2002 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 62,000 miles

is this something I could do in my garage. How do I change them. Do I need any special tools.
Jim fry

Special tools needed
Need to have a spring press

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_GraphicCAI05UJW_1.jpg

Removal
NOTE: When servicing original strut damper and steering knuckle, mark cam adjusting bolt position for reassembly reference.

Raise and support vehicle. Remove wheel. Remove brake hose and speed sensor brackets. Remove stabilizer link. Remove cam adjusting bolt and steering knuckle bolt from strut damper assembly.
Remove strut damper-to-shock tower mounting nuts. Remove strut damper assembly from vehicle.
Disassembly
Compress coil spring with Spring Compressor (C-4838), with at least 5 coils of spring between compressor jaws.
NOTE:Coil springs are rated separately for each side of vehicle, depending on optional equipment and type of service. If removing springs, ensure to mark springs for installation in original positions.

Hold strut rod while loosening strut rod nut with Strut Nut Socket (6864). Remove nut. Remove mount assembly. Remove coil spring, and mark it for installation to same side of vehicle. Remove remaining components

BMRFIXIT
If I buy ez struts how do I install them and can I buy the special socket at any parts store

Jim fry
EZ struts very much the same as described in the 1st few steps
As they come complete and no need for any special tools
Just remove old struts assemble and install the new one, strut coil spring and all in one
Easy and way to go for a to do home job

i would replace stabilizer link too.
Good luck

Raise and support vehicle.
Remove wheel.
Remove brake hose and speed sensor brackets. Remove stabilizer link.
Remove cam adjusting bolt and steering knuckle bolt from strut damper assembly.
Remove strut damper-to-shock tower mounting nuts.
Remove strut damper assembly from vehicle.

BMRFIXIT
What do I have to do to remove these links I had trouble once before trying to removing the links.

Jim fry
Reason why we always replace them

Cut the nut off the lower side and replace them
With the new struts
This way you have to take only one nut and not dealing with two on each side

BMRFIXIT
What is the best way to cut the nut off.

Jim fry
We burn them off

use nut splitter tool

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_base_media_1.jpg

or
Use a hacksaw and cut nut in half with the stud that will split the nut and fall off

BMRFIXIT