ENGINE DIES OUT

1999 Dodge Caravan

1999 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

I read an earlier mess: Question : 1998 Dodge Caravan mileage: 120,000. Transmission went on this vehicle. Transmission rebuilt and replaced. Vehicle starts and then it stalls when putting it in drive. Spark plugs and wires have been replaced. Engine oil changed. We can drive it, but it keeps on stalling anytime we go to stop also. Any ideas.

Answer: The lock-up torque converter may not be disengaging at idle.

Was not sure if this was the same thing? I had trans replaced several months back also the timing belt, but I believe this problem was before also. The van will die out when driving especially when A/C is running. Does happen at high rate of speed as well. The RPMs will just bottom out and die. In colder weather seems to run better.(Im not moving north sorry) thanks in advance
Jpreball01

Hi jpreball01. Welcome to the forum. I don't blame you about not moving north!

Sounds like a problem with the crankshaft position sensor. They can be intermittent, especially when warm, but if this started right after the transmission was replaced, it is possible the sensor's air gap is all that is wrong. The sensor comes with either a paper spacer stuck to the end or a plastic rib molded in. Either of those sets the gap, then is expected to shear off when the engine is started. When reusing a sensor with the rib, the remaining part is supposed to be cut off and a paper spacer is to be used. I got cocky when replacing transmissions at the dealership. I'm an electrical and suspension and alignment specialist, but they needed me for some transmission replacements. After the first few, I started cutting the paper spacers into pieces so I could get away with using fewer of them. On the last one, I was so good, I didn't even need one! Two weeks later I heard the engine was stalling intermittently. Someone else replaced that sensor, but I'll bet it just wasn't set properly. Don't try pushing the sensor in further without using the spacer because it will be destroyed if it hits the flywheel.