POWER STEERING LOSS...

1997 Dodge Caravan

Steering problem
1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

Hi and thanks for helping out! Well I was driving down the road and hit a sewer drain and then I heard a loud thud by my passenger wheel. Figured because I hit a bump thats what the noise was or a rock got shot out by the wheel but then 50 feet later my power steering failed. Then as I kept the car ideling to check under the hood, I seen the battery light came on. Now I have no idea if the serpintine belt blew but it was dark out and couldnt see. So now my alternator is not running and my power steering failed. I just wanna know if it could be the belt or something more major then that! Thank you very much!
G.pelka

Hi: It sounds like the belt is what mad the thud. If it is broken, the alt, power steering, AC, and water pump will not work. Do not drive the vehicle until it is checked. A belt replacement is cheap, but a burned up motor isn't.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Haha dont ask how this happened but I finally got to take a look at the car and seen that part of the water pump actually broke off! I have never seen that happening but everything is finally back to normal lol and thanks! And yea, I replaced the belt to lol.

G.pelka