P0301 CODE

2004 Chrysler Sebring

2004 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Automatic 60,000 miles

Hi, my vehicle keeps giving the code P0301 which is a cylinder 1 misfire. Changed the spark plugs, changed the coil pack in cylinder 1, changed the fuel injector in cylinder 1, and changed all the gaskets on the manifold. STILL reading the same code. Any ideas to what the problem is? Oh' and the vehicle is driving normal, no symptoms.

Lydia
Lydiaa

Hi Lydia,

Check cylinder compression and fuel pressure. And check all your vacuum lines, along with the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC). And the Air Intake Boot, the big tube running from your air filter to the throttle body.

.

Obxautomedic
How can I check the compression?

Lydiaa
How to Test Engine Compression
An engine depends on an equal compression in each cylinder to run smoothly. If poor compression exits in one or more cylinders it can cause a rough idle condition and low power. A compression test can be performed to check wear or internal damage. A compression gauge is needed to test the engine cylinders. There are two types of gauge styles, one threads into the spark plug hole which is more accurate. The other style of gauge is constructed with a rubber plug that is meant to be pressed against the spark plug hole, this style of gauge is difficult to use. To perform a engine cylinder compression test follow the steps below.

Remove ignition coil connector or ignition system or fuel pump fuse to disable power to the ignition or fuel system

Test ignition system to ensure that the power to the system has been disabled

Remove #1 cylinder spark plug and insert compression gauge, most gauges have a hose attachment that is installed into the spark plug hole with the gauge connecting to the gauge hose.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_compression_gauge_1.jpg

Engine Cylinder Compression Gauge

After the compression gauge has been inserted, use the starter to crank the engine over for about five seconds. Use about the same five seconds to test the remaining cylinders.

Record the compression reading as each cylinder is tested

Remove the compression gauge and reinsert the spark plug

Follow this procedure until all cylinders have been tested

Compare cylinders compression reading, typical compression readings are between 125 p.s.i. and 160 p.s.i. all cylinder readings should be within about 5% of each other.
If low compression exists a cylinder malfunction exits and further inspection is required. Possible causes for a low compression condition are: burned intake or exhaust valve, broken piston or piston ring, broken valve spring or a blown head gasket.

.

Obxautomedic
Great! Thank you so much! I'll let you know how that goes this evening.

Lydiaa
Oh' and if thats not the problem then how do I check the fuel pressure?

Lydiaa
Thanks for the video link that will be a BIG help! Still need to get the cylinder compression checked. Need to go buy the tool.

Lydiaa
You should check your local tool rental shop. Also ask if they have a Fuel Pressure Tester.

.

Obxautomedic
Okay got the fuel pressure tester and have no idea how to check the vaccum pressure. Do you have another video for that?

Thanks.

Lydiaa
Okay checked the compression it passed, checked the fuel pressure and vaccume pressure they passed. Changed the idle air control valve and have even had the computer flashed STILL the same code. Any ideas anyone?

Lydiaa
Page 1 of 7