LX WON'T START

1997 Chrysler Sebring

I have a 97 Chrysler Sebring LX with 180,000 miles. It will turnover but the car won't start. I replaced the crankshaft sensor and that didn't solve the problem. I have also changed the distributor cap, rotor and plugs and still won't start. Need help
Kenny3087

Hello !

Start checking if the problem its spark or fuel

Check for spark on the spark plugs if good then check for fuel, make sure that the gas pump its working, to check that, turn on the ignition switch and " hear" the Humming sound of the pump through the gas cap (remove it to hear it) it should make a Humming sound for some seconds and then stop.

Then get back with your findings.

Good Luck!

Fisherman
Hello !

Then get back with your findings.

Good Luck![/Quote: f455befab7]

The fuel pump is turning on. I am not getting a spark at the plugs.

Kenny3087
Hello !

Check the resistance of the pick-up coil in the distributor should be around 140-180 ohms

Then check the igniter.
You can connect a test light to the negative side of the coil and crank the car. The test light should light intermittently. This would indicate the igniter and coil are both Good.

(The way I use the test light its with the (+) of the coil on one end and the negative side of the coil on the another.)

That way if the igniter and the pick-up coil are both good the test light should be On-Off-On-Off (blinking when cranking but off when not cranked)

some info on the Pick-up coil: Used instead of breaker points, the pick-up coil induces voltage in an electronic ignition system. It's a small electric generator that sends low voltage pulses to the ECU (electronic control unit) as the trigger wheel or reluctor teeth pass by. When the trigger wheel tooth approaches the pickup coil, the voltage builds. When the tooth moves away, the voltage decreases. The ECU senses the voltage changes and determines the proper time to switch the primary current to the coil on and off. This allows the coil to build the magnetic field in the primary windings and fire when the ECU cycles the current off.

Well let me know to continue with this troubleshooting.

Fisherman