ALTERNATOR

1997 Chrysler Sebring

1997 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive

Help! We need a step-by-step please for replacement of alternator on 1997 Sebring (convertible) V6... Your help will be deeply appreciated!
Wrinkledoggi

2.4L or 2.5L engine?

Bluelightnin6
It is the 2.5 V6, and it seems impossible to remove the bottom (pivot) bolt - nearly zero room and all kinds of things in the way! Can just barely get a socket on the bolt with a swivel, then no room to swing the ratchet... Also, zero space for the bolt to back out into.... We really are puzzled THANKS

Wrinkledoggi
Remove the four AC compressor mounting bolts so that the AC can be moved away from the engine enough to get a socket on the alternator pivot bolt. You do not need to break the compressor lines. You may also want to remove the top mounting ear bolt and the bracket to make room to remove the alternator from the engine compartment.

Try removing the front right wheel and plastic cover to get to the pulley and belt. This also permits better access to the AC compressor bolts.

It may be easier to get the alternator free before disconnecting the electrical wires.

Bluelightnin6
Thanks for speedy replies, we appreciate that... But the bottom (pivot) bolt for the alternator must be backed out from the REAR of the alternator, in other words, when viewing from the front of the car looking down onto the alternator, the bolt backs out from LEFT to RIGHT. The alternator is threaded on the LEFT (pulley) side and the bolt head is on the RIGHT (exhaust) side.... The bolt is longer than there is room to back it out.... We are truly puzzled

Wrinkledoggi
Is this diagram showing correct placement?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_1081.jpg

Bluelightnin6
I'm sorry but no you did not.... The problem is, the PIVOT BOLT is longer than the space required to back it all the way out .... What the heck do we do? It's like a 6 inch bolt, and there's not 6 inches to back it all the way out into. The pivot bolt has to come completely out or the alternator can't be removed (or replaced either!) HELP!

Wrinkledoggi
I'm sorry for being such a pain, but now there are two issues before us instead of just the one...
1.) The pivot bolt is longer than the space need to back it out
2.) The idler pulley bolt will not budge, we are afraid of breaking it off! Is it a left-hand thread or something?

We do appreciate the help. It's my roomie's car, and tomorrow (Monday) she is supposed to begin her cancer treatments and really needs the car up and running

Wrinkledoggi
Yes I understand the problem with the pivot bolt, but what I need to know first to better assist you is if the diagram I posted above is the correct diagram for your motor?

Bluelightnin6
Well yes I guess so... It seems to be. I've just been told that the old alternator is now out HOORAH... However he never did get the idler pulley loose, he said it was impossible and that he would break it if he applied any more force to it

Wrinkledoggi
Wrinkledoggi,
How did u guys get the freakin' four bolts off for the AC compressor? I tried McGyver'ing and using different types of swivel heads, extensions, etc. To try and get these out. Let Me know what you guys did.