RUNS GOOD BUT COMPUTER PROBLEM

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Computer problem
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 cyl Automatic

My cruiser runs great but my engine light came on & it won't pass emissions. Code indicated the computer itself is bad. Have put 2 different computers on it to no avail. Called dealer to make sure I was getting the right part # for the last one (& it was) however, there is another # (S/N I guess is serial #) that doesn't match. My old computer label says it has an authorized software update on it & the replacement one doesn't. Could that be the problem? Can the replacement be updated to work. Please help this is SO FRUSTRATING.
Ldzach02

Flashing the computer, as it is called, may fix your problem. However, you will need to take to a dealer to get it done.

Also what is the code you are getting?

.

Obxautomedic
The code I am getting is P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error.
Thanks for the info, I will call the dealer and see what I need to do.

Ldzach02
Symptoms Likely, no symptoms will be discernible to the driver, other than the illuminated Check Engine Light. Typically the engine runs fine, gauges work, etc.

Causes A code P0601 in most cases means the PCM has gone bad. This is possibly due to a short-circuit inside the PCM. Or, if you disconnect the wires/connector from the PCM while the battery is still connected, that may also cause this code.

Possible Solutions With a P0601 OBD-II trouble code, the most common fix is to replace and reprogram the PCM. In a few cases the dealer may be able to reflash the PCM and get it working. But more than likely the PCM will need to be replaced and reprogrammed (we recommend you take it to a dealership for this). The good news is it *may* be covered under your emmissions warranty. So even if you're out of bumper-to-bumper warranty or powertrain warranty, check your warranty guide or dealer to see if this is covered.

.

Obxautomedic
Thanks again for your help. When you are referring to the PCM I assume you are talking about the engine computer itself, is that correct? I'm not real real car literate but I think it's starting to make sense to me. It seems as though my old computer already had the update " flashed" in it but the computer itself has gone bad. The previous computers that I purchased that didn't work didn't say anything about an update in them on the label (mine did). I think I need to get a computer that has been flashed with the updates already (that match my VIN#) and install it. Does that sound right. I had a friend that already " reset" the old computer on my car but that didn't fix the problem.

Ldzach02
Yes, the PCM is the Computer.

You should be able to order the computer from your local parts store. You would just need to have it program with your VIN and Mileage, which would have to be done at the dealer.

Obxautomedic
I don't know if you can see the previous questions we have corresponded but I am the person that you were corresponding with about the PCM for the 2001 PT Cruiser. I am getting a code of P0601 and have spoken to the dealer about flashing the computer that is currently in my car (car runs perfect). For the price the dealer wants to flash my computer (with NO guarantee that it will solve the problem) I can purchase another computer and the seller will install the upgraded software (I just provide VIN# and mileage). I'm thinking I should purchase the computer with the software already installed. My computer already had the upgrade installed before I purchased and I'm thinking that it probably needs to be replaced instead of flashed. GIVE ME YOUR ADVICE PLEASE!

Ldzach02
Yes that would be the thing to do that way all you have to do is install and go.

.

Obxautomedic
Thank you so much. You have been a huge help.

Ldzach02
You are very welcome, that's what we are here for.

.

Obxautomedic