ABS FAILED

1993 Chrysler Imperial

Brakes problem
1993 Chrysler Imperial 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

I have been replacing brake fluid in my wells for a while. Last night, the brakes got really hard. I filled the wells with brake fluid, but nothing changed. Is my abs dead altogether now?

I would get a indicator of " low brake fluid" and once I filled the wells, the light would go out.
Terrificbabe46

First and most inportant, I would identify where the brake fluid leak is. Next, if the brake pedal got really hard to push, you lost power assist. Based on what system you have, you could have a large vacuum hose going from the intake to a brake booster that may have ruptured or a bad brake booster. You need to have it vacuum tested if the vacuum hose is good and not plugged. If you have the Bendix 10 ABS sustem, there is a vacuum pump (electric) that may have gone bad (expensive)

I had the same issue with a '93 Imperial. It was like there was no " Power assist" at the brake pedal. It is a very common problem on the Chryslers that had the Bendix-10 ABS units. Do a search on the net, there is a safety recall for all of the Bendix-10's. The factory is obligated to replace the units for you. Even though my unit was replaced, and failed again, there is a lifetime warranty on the pump actuator motor and pump unit. It took some pressure on the service dept (on my part), but if you have the service bulletin, they will relent.

Quagmire86
This is correct. The as mentioned in my previous posting, the Bendix 10 system was a problem, and yes, many of the parts are covered for the life of the vehicle. However, I don't think the vacuum pump is. Regardless, I would check.