ENGINE OVERHEATING

1995 Chrysler Concorde

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Chrysler Concorde 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

this car has an overheating problem, we have installed new radiator. It overheats when idling, must add water. Have checked oil does not have milky look to it, would a new radiator cap help. It has during this past summer, overheated and smelled hot. When we bought the car it was used, have had 3+ years, has always had hot smell when you get out of car when it has been run for a time, also, check engine light is on and it dies a lot when first drivng. Could you please help
Lizannie

Start by having it scanned for the light. This may lead to the cure for the stalling. If it is using water with no visible leakjs it may have a blown head gasket, doesnt have to have water in the oil for that to be a problem. HAve the cooling system chemical tested for exhaust gasses. Does the fan come on when it is idling?

Jack42
I have the same problem with mine. I have only 55,400 miles on it but it sat for about 4 years. It has a new top radiator hose and new thermostat. The cooling system seems tight. I did notice that the right side radiator fan comes on at regular intervals even when the thermostat is closed. The left fan doesn't come on at all, even when it overheats.
When the car is left in park and the engine idles for about 30 to 45 minutes, the temp gauge will read about 3/4. When I put it in gear it overheats within 1 minute and coolant leaves through the 18 psi cap (through the overflow hose).
Could it be the fan relay? Fan? Some sort of 2nd stage temp sensor?
BTW, great site here. I will be surfing it for a long time.

El diablo