FOOT BRAKE RELEASE

1994 Chrysler Concorde

Brakes problem
1994 Chrysler Concorde 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

Hi,

I am getting my car ready to pass a safety. I have 4 wheel disk brakes. Rotors pads and rear calipers had to be changed and I did them. ABS doesn't work anymore, but I heard for safeties the ABS can be disabled as long as the brakes function correctly.

My problem is with the foot brake. I replaced the linings and the hardware kit. When I push in the pedal the car holds on a hill. But, when I push the pedal again to release the brake it will not release. I have to reach up under the dash while my foot is applying pressure on the pedal and push the toggle plate towards the fire wall, then if I release the pedal and push in again, the pedal releases.

Do I have to replace the whole pedal or is there something I can adjust or change that will make the toggle plate release?

Thanks,

Leon
Leon22

Dont think there is any adjustment to be made. Does the car hold if you dont push the pedal down as hard? Will it release, sometimes if applied too hard, the mechanism cant unlock itself. Have you tried a little lube? WD-40?

Jack42
The pedal won't release no matter what, unless I reach underneath and move the toggle plate. I could try lubricating, but the toggle plat seems to move around with ease when I do it with my hand. Is there something other then the toggle plate that is involved with the release mechanism? Could there be a spring missing?

Leon22
Without looking at it, hard to say but possible. Try releasing while looking at it to see if something that needs to move isnt

Jack42
Does the ABS light need to be off to pass a vehicule safety inspection. I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks,

Leon

Leon22
I have no idea, call and ask them

Jack42
IT doesn't matter in NYS, but everywhere is different

You can call them or call a station that does inspection.

One last question, if the ABS light is on, can this effect pedal travel? I changed all the pads and rotors, along with the passenger side rear caliper recently. I bled as best I could, but I think there maybe air in the ABS part. Anyways, the pedal starts to brake high like anyother pedal and it doesn't take much pedal travel to come to stop. But, when I come to the stop, the pedal can travel all the way until about an inch or so from the floor. Then it stops travelling and it doesn't creep (which makes me think the master cylinder is okay). Is this normal? I ask because in the escort and 323 I had before this didn't happen, but they were standard brakes.

Thanks,

Leon

Leon22