CHEVY GAUGES GO BERSERK

2004 Chevrolet Venture

2004 Chevy Venture 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

When driving the gauges suddenly do wacky things. Like the speedometer goes to 110. Or sticks at 40 or 90 and won't move. Sometimes the gas guage will go almost completely around. The speedometer has tried it but it hits the bottom of the instrument panel.

Mechanics act like you are nuts when you call them to have it looked at.

Any help would be appreciated. I see another person asked a similar question today also.
Wemiller

A couple of things come to mind, first check this bulletin and see if it pertains. It also states that you would have lights coming on: #PI01574A: Intermittent Erratic IPC Sweep With Possible ABS Or SIR Lamp On - keywords cluster fluctuation gauge head instrument IP light MIL panel - (Feb 20, 2009)

Subject: Intermittent Erratic IPC Sweep With Possible ABS or SIR Lamp On

Models: 2000-2004 Chevrolet Venture

2000-2004 Pontiac Montana

2000-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette

This PI was superseded to provide a clear diagnostic procedure. Please discard PI01574.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern: Some customers may comment that intermittently, the IPC gauges sweep erratically (not as in WOW test) and the charge, MIL, ABS & SIR indicators illuminate on the IPC. Typically no DTC's are set. This condition occurs briefly and there is no pattern as to when (hot, cold, fast, slow). This may be a result of a loose connection to the PK3/Theft Module or the PK3/Theft Module itself.

Recommendation/Instructions: To correct this condition verify that the PCM/PASSKEY/CLUSTER fuse and the PASS-KEY fuse for the PK3/Theft Module are fully seated to the IP Electrical Center. Verify the integrity of the wire crimps and terminal contact for these fuse(s). Inspect the PK3/Theft Module connector. Verify there is adequate pin drag and crimp to the wires in this connector. If there is no trouble found, replace the PK3/Theft Module at steering column as needed. Retest vehicle.

Another concern is maybe the cluster itself is acting up. What happens when the needles stick, when do they resume operating? A simple test is performed to condemn the cluster, a gauge sweep test. It is performed with the use of a scan tool, though. As far as I know, an aftermarket scan tool is not capable. I may be wrong.

Factoryjack
No lights come on. And this is not momentary. This has been hours like this. It usually is the speedometer, but occasionally the gas gauge also. Scenario: driving 15 minutes, speed stays where it is at, ie 65mph. When you stop and turn off car, it stays at 65. Repeatedly turning on/off switch will " reset" it. Another Scenario: Driving along at 65, suddenly you notice speed is 105 (Has been any speed from about 85 to 110). Fluxuating like it should but about 40 mph faster than it should. Stop and turn off switch and it stays at 55 or so. Another scenario: A few times all is Ok, stop at a stop sign and it just stays at zero when you drive away. The odometer is always correct. ( I use a gps to verify mileage and speed.) Also, it seems that it does this more easily when I use my key than when my wife uses her key. Thanks for the info though. I will check those connections.

Wemiller
I wouldn't necessarily focus on the bulletin if it doesn't fit the criteria. My gut feeling is you have a cluster that is acting up, and the speedometer to act up is most common. Try just simply banging on the dash above it when it is sticking and see if it changes. It won't necessarily become correct, but if it changes in behavior. Like I stated previously, if it is sticking, and you can get to an outlet to perform the gauge sweep test, you can condemn it then and there.

Factoryjack
My 2004 Venture is doing the same exact thing. Please let me know what you find out. Is there a recall? Is GM fixing this problem? I passed inspection luckily last year when it decided to work for a week. This year, the mechanic fiddled with the wires and it worked enough to pass but quit when I picked up the Van when he was done.

HLD16506
I tried following the wiring and at first thought it helped. But now I cannot get it to seem to help. Pounding on the dash does not help at all. Only thing we have found is turning the switch on / off about 15 times will get the gauges back to home base. Usually the gas is ok for a few days but the speed may go bonkers again in a few minutes.

We have been busy lately and I have just been using my GPS for speed limits and we reset the trip odometer so we know the status of the gas gauge.

It was really bad today. Speedomter at 125 or more even when turned off and gas gauge completely opposite of where it should have been. My on/off trick above didn't even completely reset it.

Will let you know if we take it to a Chevy Dealer.

Wemiller
We made an appointment for Thursday. My wife sailed past a policeman and didn't have a clue how fast she was going. Apparently was OK as he didn't move but she decided it was time to get it looked at.

Wemiller
Took the van in today. Of course, it was totally fine. Dealer assumed it was same as mentioned above by gstacey. We'll try again if it sticks for a couple days like it did last week. They said bring it in without an appt so they could see. If it was the above, it will cost approx 250 for part and 125 for labor.

Wemiller
My van insterment panel does the same

Ddavison
Car was perfectly fine Friday at the car dealers, all day Sat and Sun. And fine until this eve at 8pm, Suddenly stuck on 70 again. If still stuck in the morning we will take it in again.

Wemiller
Thanks for the updates. My car repairman quoted about $100 less than dealer gave you if you decide to fix. I looked online and found the same problem exists with several Chey models including the Imapala but apparently there was a time limit on some recalls. I didn't see a recall for the Venture but if there was one, it may have expired.

HLD16506
Page 1 of 2