CHEVY FUEL GAUGE

2000 Chevrolet Venture

2000 Chevy Venture

If I do not have a full tank of gas and am driving down the road, my fuel gauge will bounce back and forth and will not read correctly the amount of gas in the vehicle. This will sometimes also happen when the vehicle is stopped. So, I am wondering if this is a simple fix (ie. A sensor of some type) or something more expensive like a fuel pump.
Security1

A little movement is normal on this vehicle. You could replace the fuel tank sender unit. But it is working

Dave H
Thank you for your information but actually I get a lot more than just a little movement on the gauge. For example, if I am on 3/4 of a tank or less, it will move clear to E and then bounce back and forth between E and back to the 3/4 mark. Also, it usually does this on a regular basis.

Security1
Fuel gauge is inoperative or fluctuates

These conditions may be intermittent. Upon investigation, the technician may find various DTCs set.

This condition may be due to water leaking into the interior of the vehicle, and/or spread terminals, at connector C305 that is located on the floor to the rear of the driver's seat. This connector is not sealed from the inside of the vehicle and water may enter the connector causing the terminals to become corroded. Also, the female terminals of the connector may have become spread apart causing an intermittent poor connection.
Correction
IMPORTANT: Inspect the terminals at connector C305 for corrosion or spreading before replacing the fuel module or resistor card kit. Terminals can be accessed from underneath the vehicle.

Dave H