TRACKER HARD COLD START

2001 Chevrolet Truck

My 2001 Chev Tracker ZR2 (2.5l) starts hard in the cold. Sometimes my girlfriend has run the battery down trying to start it. Does this car have a fuel pressure regulator and/or a thermo-time switch and/or a cold start valve/injector and if so could one or more of these be the culprit? I just put a new fuel filter in it, gas line antifreeze, and oil change (5w30). Any help appreciated.
CaveatLector

Any check engine light? Has it ever been tuned up?

Jack42
No check engine light. Just bought it and don't know about tune up. What do they do for a tune up nowadays with fuel inj engines?

CaveatLector
TECHMAN1 THERE IS NOT DISTRIBUTOR IN THIS VEHICLE, IT IS DIS SO IT HAS NO CAP OR ROTOR EITHER AND FUEL DOES DEGRADE AND GEL IN COLD WEATHER SO YOU ARE WAY OFF ON THIS ONE TOO,

THE FUEL FILTER WAS A GOOD START

BACK TO THE CAR, JACK HAD ASKED IF THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON, OR FLICKERING, IF SO LET US KNOW, AND DO YOU HAVE ANY BASIC TOOLS, TEST LIGHT, I HAVE A FEW THINGS WE CAN CHECK, ALSO WE MAY NEED A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE, LET ME OR JAK KNOW AND WE WILL GET YOU STARTED

THANKS JIM

CHEVYII
Thanks for the quick response. No check engine light is on. I have, or can get, whatever you suggest I need to use to test the vehicle.

CaveatLector
Well I always start checking maint items, plugs wires fuel filter air filter, if you dont know how long any of those items have been on the car replace them if they look old, second I would like to see the fuel pressure if the fuel pressure is low it could cause this problem, but start with the maint items and let me know what they look like

jim

CHEVYII
Thanks for the suggestion. I replaced the fuel and air filters. I'll tackle the plugs and wires. Question though, I WAS going to change the ignition(plug) wires a couple of weeks ago but they are over $100 EACH (and I need 6) at the local national chain auto parts store. Does that seem right to you?

CaveatLector
They are 92.76 , if the dealer is 92 I would have to say aftermarket should be almost half, have you tried napa auto parts
let me know how you do
jim

CHEVYII