CHEVY GAUGES

1989 Chevrolet Truck

1989 Chevy Truck 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 197000 miles

Ever since I just bought this truck, the gauge cluster acts strange. First of all, it is a mechanical gauge. Next, I have no oil pressure at all. My odometer does not work. My temperature gauge randomely bounces from normal to hot. When I turn the engine off, and dont drive it for a day or so, I start it and my temp gauge still is reading hot(in the red). Ive changed my thermostat and make sure there are fluids. Just trying to pinpoint the problem without spending to much money. Oh yeah and my " check gauge" light has always been on.
Paradactal

Try having the engine codes read, the ECM may be messing up. Also you can have malfunctioning sensors (cooling, oil, etc.) That are not providing the correct info to the gauges.
The odometer is a different issue, that will work off of the speedometer and even though the speedo works off of the VSS, the odometer works analog off of the speedo. If your speedo is working correct your odometer may have just quit and needs to be replaced.

Macdpd@aol.com