CHEVY LOUD TICKING/CLICKING IN RIGHT REAR

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2003 Chevy Trailblazer V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130400 miles

A loud, fast paced noise I would describe as ticking began in the right rear quarter panel of my vehicle yesterday. It continued for most of 20 minute trip home, stopping for a few minutes and starting again. It picked right up again when I started the vehicle today and continued for my entire trip, again stopping only for a few minutes a couple of times. It is louder than radio at medium volume and it does not seem to be related to any of the dash features e.G. Stereo, A/C/Heat. My dealer would not commit w/o looking at vehicle - and collecting their $60 or $70 - but did offer that it could be a relay, or I think he said conductor, and possibly fuel related. When I advised I was not near a dealer and asked if it could be dangerous, again he would not commit. Any ideas?
Pematthews59

Does the sound seem to come from inside the vehicle or outside? Also, does it change when turning? Actually, a clicking that loud doesn't sound like a relay. At least in 30 years of working on vehicles, I never heard one that loud.

Let me know.

Thank you for your response. It is definitely coming from inside. I partially removed the interior trim and the noise appears to be coming from some kind of " electrical box" about 6" x 6", but there is a metal frame that I could not unbolt without taking the " whole car" apart (at least to a layman like me the rear fold down seat look like it may have to be removed to gain complete access). Update, the ticking sound still starts at ignition but now continues for only a few minutes and stops, until the next time I start up the vehicle.

One problem I can foresee is that again to layman it appears to will require much labor time just to remove the trim, metal frame, seat(?), Etc. At $XX per hour.

Pematthews59
For future reference I had to bring my car in for other issue and chevy dealer reported this was temp actuator related to rear A/C. The ticking noise was the " door" allowing the air flow attempting to open - it occurred/occurs even w/rear A/C off - and eventually will fail altogether. Repair/repalcement of part is $139.99 plus min. Labor charge.

Pematthews59