CHEVY WATER PUMP

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

Engine Cooling problem
2002 Chevy Tahoe V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

how do I diagnose a waterpump going bad or waterpump gasket gone bad? There is a leak comeing from bottom of pump and a " chirping noise" that sounds also like a bad belt. Also it would be helpful if you could give me a time estimate on changing out water pump and/or gasket. And how hard is this job? THANKS ALOT
Gregs13

Hi: There is a round hole under the pump that is most likely leaking. Check for the leak there. If leaking, the pump's bearing is bad causing the seal to leak. This is what happens on almost all waterpumps when they go bad, and yes they could make a churping sound.

As far as labor, it should take no more than two hours.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

J and N said it best. Its the water pump. I just changed 2 out in 60 days on my truck trying to solve a leak. If your " ok" with working on your motor but don't want to get to crazy you should be able to do this in 2-3 hours. Just take your time and pick up a manual at Kragen, Chucks, etc. The Chilton's manual walked me through pretty good. You will most likely want to rent a tool to remove the fan or ask someone if they know a trick (someone told me it can be done if you do not remove the belt until after you've loosened the fan). The biggest problem I've found doing this yourself is draining the fluid in the radiator so not to poison mother earth. They've got to come up with a better way to drain those radiators! Let us know how you did!

Smulligan