CHEVY OIL LEAK

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe

2000 Chevy Tahoe V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 179000 miles

i just bought my 00 tahoe and got it lifted by the tensioners on the suspension, by the transmission and ever since I did this I noticed that oil has been leaking from where the engine and transmission meet. I have tried a stop leak on it and the problem still persists. Any suggestions?
Albino Martinez

First you'l have to find out if it's trans fluid or engine oil. It is probably coincidince. It may be the gasket by the oil filter on the driver's side.

I have already confirmed that it is engine oil and I replaced the gasket by the oil filter and the problem still persists. It seems that its coming from where the engine and the transmission meet.

Do you think it might have anything to do with me lifting the truck? Should I drop it back down?

Albino Martinez
Lifting the truck by what you call the tensioners, which isn't recommended by the way. Shoold have nothing to do with the engine oil leak. If it is leaking between the engine and trans then it can only be two places IF it's not coming from the top of theengine. It could be the main bearing seal or there is a cam plate that is sealed with an o-ring and that could be leaking. The only way to see which it is, is to pull the trans and flywheel off and see where it's coming from. Amain bearing seal will be harder to find. It could also be leaking from the pan gasket if you can get the inspection plate off and see oil on the back of the flywheel it may be just a main seal. But considering the mileage of your vehicle you would be bettr off to replace all of them at once.

I will look into all your suggestions thank you!

Albino Martinez
A leak from that area is generally a rear main seal on the engine if it is engine oil that is leaking. If it is ATF then it is the front transmission seal.
In either case I would doubt that the lifting you did would cause either of those to leak.
Now if that vehicle has the oil cooler lines running up to the radiator then you may have a leak at the adapter that the oil filter and those lines go into. This adapter is notorious for the rubber oring to shrink and start leaking oil. Sometimes this oil runs down under the torque converter cover and drips out the drain hole or gets sprayed around by the moving torque converter which makes the oil seem like it is leaking everywhere in that general area.

The key is to inspect the adapter very carefully for oil around the base of where it meets the block.

Consaka
One other thing I didn't put in the previous answers was to check the adapter near the filter to make sure it's not warped. If it is then replacing all the seals in the world will still give you a leak. If you have a 6" straight edge ruler and go from end holding it to light would show if its' warped or not. You can reuse the seal you just put in again. And make sure to torque it corrctly as well.