CHEVY 4X4

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1999 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 149573 miles

transfer case fuse blows when inserted when I unplug acuator on transfer case fuse does not blow should the front driveshaft turn freely when truck is in park 4x4 does not work
Jason lock

Ok first I need to know if you are up to doing some tests and if you have a test light and a digital multi meter. Get back to me and we do a couple of tests to try to figure out what it wrong.

Racefan966
I am up for doing some testing. I have a test light and can come up with amultiditial tester

Jason lock
Which fuse blows number 2 or 24? Get back to me Thanks.

Racefan966
The number two fuse is the one that blows.

Jason lock
Ok that fuse is the T-case fuse so we need to do some testing on the transfer case control module located on the steering column bracket. The wires for that fuse are all orange and it branches off to three orange wires. These are all battery in to the module. So you may have a bad module. However I need to know if any light come on when you push the 4x4 I know the fuse blows but do any lights come on or no lights? The tests are different for each. This could also be the transfer case shift motor on the back of the t-case. Get back to me with what you can and we will go to the next step.

Racefan966
The light on the 4x4 switch does not work. No light. Also the front drive shaft does not turn manually when truck is in park. Does this matter?

Jason lock
OK lets do a test to see what we need to do here. First I will need you to get to and unplug the 4x4 control module I have include a pic of where it is. Now I will need you to make a jumper wire so you connect each circuit to gound. So the pink and white wire ground it does this make the 4x4 low light light up? Now take the light green and black wire do the same and the pink wire and the tan and black. Did all the lights come one one at a time? If yes then the module is no good and need to be replaced. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_47.jpg

Racefan966
Which side of the steering column is the 4x4 control module on? What I have located is on the left. It is 4inx5in x 2in thick. It has two plugs, one with 4 wires and one has about 30. I don't see a white ground. Help

Jason lock
It is on the left side of the column and the wire colors are like pink with white trace meaning the wire is pink and has a white stripe and the other wires are ment in the same manner. The module is on the steering column support bracket. Let know what you find.

Racefan966
CAN YOY TELL ME WHAT THE 4X4 MODULE LOOKS LIKE?IS IT METAL OR PLASTIC AND HOW MANY WIRES DOES IT HAVE?

Jason lock