RADIO

Chevrolet Suburban

My radio turns on all the dials work including the volume, but, I can't hear anything. It was working when I was in the car and I came home for a few minutes got back in and guess what no sound. Any ideas?
Kmullen

Does this vehicle have steering wheel controls for the radio?

Dennyp

Kmullen
It is a 2003 Chev. Sub. Could it be a fuse? I don't have a mute button. It changes stations, cd player runs. Everything but the volume.

Kmullen
Subject: Diagnostic For No Sound From Speakers But Radio Display Is Operative - keywords amp amplifier audio inoperative mute off on speaker voltage volume #PIT3193B - (07/11/2007)

Models: 2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2004-2007 Hummer H2

With UQ7 without Y91

This PI was superseded tp update model years. Please discard PIT3193A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern: This information is in addition to the normal no audio diagnostics which includes checking for shorted speakers or speaker wires.

Recommendation/Instructions: For complaints of no audio from vehicle equipped with a non-class 2 amplifier, perform the following checks to determine if it is a radio or an amp issue. Do these checks with vehicle running, radio on and amp plugged in.

Check for audio at the Rear Seat Audio controls through the head phones. If there is, then the radio is producing audio.
Check pin B3 (switched 12volts) for 12 volts. This is a radio output that tells the amp to turn on. It should show 12 volts, if it does not, and then radio B3 pin output is not operating properly. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.
Check pin B6 (amp mute) for 0 volts to 5 volt. If the voltage is between 0 and 1 volt this tells the amp to unmute and play. If it shows between 3 and 5 volts this tells the amp to mute and stop playing. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.
If the above steps indicate that the system should be playing then check for power and grounds to the amplifier and if ok, replace the amplifier.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Dennyp
Have you used the balance and fader controlls to single out each speaker. Could be a short in one of the speaker wires. Usually when this happens you will just get a staticy distorted sound but with these newer factory stereos there could be an internal breaker that shuts off the speaker output when a short is detected. May not be the case but it couldnt hurt to check it out.

Wayno
I'm having this issue. Non of my speakers work and my head phone plugs in the back don't work, not even with the DVD player playing. DVD player plays but get no sound. I checked the radio and hooked a separate speaker to it and it is working. It is a aftermarket CD player and I just bought the vehicle so I'm not familiar with it or what to do from here. Hasn't worked since I bought it

Larryloden