CHEVY DRIVER SIDE LOCKS AND WINDOWS

2004 Chevrolet Suburban

2004 Chevy Suburban V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

As mentioned above I have a 2004 suburban. The driver side door lock and window controls are not working. However, I can lock the doors from the keyless entry or from the passenger side door. The windows will work on all of the doors except from the driver side.

I have checked all the fuses and they appear to be in contact.

Any help to fix this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Chad
Chadholbrook

The passenger door module is the remote door lock reciever on your vehicle, that explains why the system works with the keyless transmitter. It sounds like you may have a drivers door module, or switch, that is not functioning. What I would do initially, is disconnect the battery, and short the cables together. Alot of the time, a condition known as logic lock, can occur in a module. Shorting the battery cables together discharges the capacitors, and 'reboots' the unit. See if this causes functions to resume. Without a scan tool, you don't know if the module can communicate at this point. Does any functions on the door work, adjustable pedals(if equipped), memory functions, heated seats? I believe they all go through the door module.

Factoryjack
No the vehicle does not have any memory controls or heated seat. We just got the basic model. The driver seat is electric and it does work. I will try what you suggested this evening and get back to you. Thanks for your help.

Chadholbrook
Over the weekend I had more time to analyze the problem. First I thought the driver side door would lock with the keyless entry. I was wrong. Nothing on the driver side door will work, windows, locks and mirror controls. The door is completley dead. When it comes to electrical stuff I am pretty blind. But I would to ask before spending a lot of money if it is a easy fix.

I checked the fuses and they all are good. I then checked with a test light on the wires going into the door from the fuse panel. Again I am not very bright on electrical stuff so don't laugh to hard. There were two smaller wires that were brown that were hot. No other wires were hot. To me the main black wire (I always thought red and black are hot) was not hot at all. Even from the wire harness the black wire in the fuse box was not hot.

If anybody knows anything please reply. I am not sure if this info tells you much. All it does for me is that I have a problem that I cannot fix.

Again thanks for your help.

Chadholbrook