CHEVY FUEL PUMP/ PRICE?

2001 Chevrolet Suburban

2001 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Dear 2carpros,

I have just been told by my local auto-clinic that a new fuel pump for my Chevrolet Suburban, 2001, 1500, 115000 mi, is going to run, for just the part, $550.00.

I've seen at some big online car-part sales-places that the pump only costs $250.00-$300.00. I also asked a guy at a Midas and a gas-station how much it should run. The Midas guy said $560.00, the gas station guy said $350.00, and another person at the Auto-Zone store showed me the gas-pump in their inventory. For $250.00.

When I asked the mechanic at the auto-clinic how much it would cost, he told me the price, I told him it shouldn't cost that much, he said it does, I said again it doesn't, and he said: " Listen, I've been doing this for 40 years, so if you f***ing wanna come in here and replace it yourself, be my guest.&Quot; I hung up because I was in front of my girlfriend and pissed, if I hadn't I would have fought fire with fire.

So, question is, even though it's obvious to me, am I being overcharged?
Beefpotato

Take the fuel pump from Autozone and run and go drop the fuel tank and get it over with.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel_pump_16.jpg

So I should get the one from autozone, and tell them to put it in? It's too late. I'm 30 miles away from the clinic, in a town I don't actually live in where I don't know anybody. Does this mean I have to pay this much?

Does the picture include labor in the $557.00 price as well. I think it does but my eyesite is awful.

Beefpotato
Should be less than $557.00 with labor charges at 3.5hrs on labor