CHEVY ELECTRIC DOOR LOCKS

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

1999 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 63000 miles

When using keyless entry button or switch on driver's side I can not lock or unlock any of the four doors. When I push the button it seems like the power output to the door lock actuator is not powerful enough to actuate the solenoid to move the lock switch. When moving the switch manually it seems like it is relatively hard to move. The more times that I push the button in succession the weaker the actuator seems to be. I have a hard time believing that all door lock actuators would fail at once. I notice that when I activate the switch that there is a clicking under the dash somehwere in the proximity of the steering column. I am wondering if there is some sort of a relay/capacitor module or something that needs to be replaced? Is there a way that I can use a 12 VDC jumper to energize and test each door lock actuator? Have you ever heard of the mechanism needing to be lubed so that it moves more easily? When can I expect an answer?And by what means?
Bigmike2

Test are as follow...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_rkea_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_rkeb_1.jpg

Program the transmitter this way:
KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEMS -1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500
Page 1 of 2
PROGRAMMING
TRANSMITTER

Standard Keyless Entry System
If the key is in the ON position during the programming procedure, the horn chirp will be disabled. If the key is in the OFF position, the horn chirp will be enabled. The horn will chirp when the lock button is pressed two times.
When reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver, all transmitters must be programmed at this time for the transmitters to operate the vehicle. Transmitters not programmed at this time will not work, and the procedure will have to be redone with all the transmitters.
1.Ground pin 4 to pin 8 of the Data Link Connector (DLC). See Fig. 26 . The receiver will respond by locking and unlocking the doors, and activating the liftgate window release, if equipped, within 2 seconds. 2.Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the first transmitter to be programmed until door locks cycle, approximately 10 seconds. 3.Repeat step 2 for up to four total transmitters to be programmed, if available. The receiver will respond by locking and unlocking the doors, and activating the liftgate window release, if equipped, within 2 seconds. 4.Remove the ground jumper from the DLC. 5.Lock and unlock the doors to verify the transmitter operation. 6.Activate the rear window release to verify the transmitter operation.
Fig. 26: Identifying Data Link Connector Terminals
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Luxury Keyless Entry System
Have each of the transmitters that you intend to program ready. This vehicle will allow you to program a maximum of four transmitters at one time.
When reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver, all transmitters must be programmed at this time for the transmitters to operate this vehicle. Transmitters not programmed at this time will not work, and the procedure will have to be redone with all the transmitters.
1.Turn the ignition to the RUN position, then back to the OFF position. This will disarm the theft-deterrent system. 2.Remove the RADIO fuse 17. 3.Turn the ignition from the OFF position to the RUN position three times quickly, within five seconds. The vehicle will respond by locking the doors, unlocking the driver's door and releasing the tailgate or cargo doors. The transmitter is now ready to match to the vehicle. 4.Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The vehicle will respond as in step 3) .

11/1/2008
Page 2 of 2
5.Repeat step 4 for the remaining transmitters. 6.Replace the RADIO Fuse. 7.Check that all transmitters work by pressing their buttons.
TRANSMITTER SYNCHRONIZATION
1.Transmitter synchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by the RKE system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the receiver. 2.The receiver will not respond to a signal which has been previously sent. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter. 3.Resynchronization will be necessary if any of the following occur:
You change the transmitter battery.
You disconnect the vehicle battery.
You push the transmitter button 256 times out of the range of the receiver. 4.In order to synchronize the transmitter with the receiver, perform the following:
Stand close to the vehicle.
Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for seven seconds. The door locks should cycle to confirm synchronization.

11/1/2008

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_DLC96_2.jpg

The door lock reciever is under the panel on the right steering support.

Merlin2021
I may have mislead you. But the keyless entry system and the switches in the door panel give me the same result. A clicking sound by all of the door lock actuator solenoids but what appears to not be enough power to move the lock mechanism into the locked or unlocked position. I am getting the identical results from either using the keyless entry or the switch in the door panel. It appears that the keyless entry system transmitter is working just as well as the switch in the door panel. The test below is only for inoperative keyless entry transmitters. The problem appears to be not enough energy to move the locks. Could it be that the mechanism has become too stiff for the system and neds to be lubed? Is there a body control electrical module that could be the problem and if so where is it located? Do the door lock solenoids work on 12VDC or do they get a boost from a capacitor or something in the system that is failing to provide enough power to energize the lock solenoids? If I press the button either on the key less or the door panel switch numerous times each successive click of the locking solenoids gets weaker.

Bigmike2
You might want to think about getting the codes read Mike, these codes wont turn on the service engine light but will be stored in memory, the code will point to the weak part of the system, code scanning is always the first step.

Merlin2021
Would a OBD II code reader work? Which unit would be a good reasonably priced code reader to buy?

Bigmike2
Generic ones probably wont read the B codes we need to read, Do a Google on OBD II and look for one that can read body and abs codes, there are sevsral out there and depending on if you need it, some of the top end ones can two way communicate.

Merlin2021
Your story above shows the exact same symptoms that my 99 suburban is showing. Door lock actuators just don't seem to be getting enough power to run, they click and make a 1/2 hearted effort, but don't completely lock or unlock. Did you find an answer?

Big Jon
I have a similar proiblem with a 1998 but only with one door lock assy, which I have replaced and lubed the mechanism and it reacts the same way with the linkage disconnected. Anyone have an answer?

Tomslick
I'm having the same problem with my 1999. All locks including the back door won't lock or unlock with the remote or the drivers door switch. Any solution?

Daveduck