CHEVY SERVICE AIRBAG SYSTEM

2005 Chevrolet Silverado

Computer problem
2005 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 30000 miles

my service airbag light came on (not accident related). I took it to a shop for diagnosis and they told me sensor location # 1 was where the fault code was. Can anyone tell me where location 1 is? I'm assuming it's the one mounted on the radiator core support but I want to be sure before I start tearing into it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Paul
Pcolucci

It is the left side impact sensor. Now I recomend that you get a book or get the proper procedure to disable the air bags before working on them or they may end up deployed and that will cost a lot more.
Here is the disable procedure. First point the wheels straight ahead and then remove the key from the ignition do not put them back in at all. Now remove the SIR fuse from the fuse box. Give it about a minute to before going on. Now unplug both sensors and replace the bad one. Now reconnect the connectors and then put the fuse back in. Now keeping clear of the air bags turn the key on engine of the air bag light should flash 7 times and then go out. Thats it your done. But with only 30000 isn't it still under warranty?

Racefan966
Thanks for replying so quickly. It's an 05 so with a 3/36 as far as I know it isn't under warranty any more even if it has only 29+ k miles on it. I thought I heard the mechanic talk about removing the front under pan cover/splash shield (whatever it's called, I'm not a truck guy) to access the sensor. When you say left side impact, where is that located? The dealer says there is only 2 sensors on that model?

Paul

Pcolucci
Yea there is one on each side of the truck one on the left or drivers side and one on the right the passanger side. As for the splash pan that is that black metal or plastic piece on the front of it that keeps stuff out from the front drive train.

Racefan966
Great, I will look to see if I can locate it. I am greatful for the help, this is a great resource for the do-it-yourselfers out there. I've been wrenching for over 35 years so that makes me kind of old school, but I try to keep up. I think I'll invest in an OBD II scanner, it would help, but there's nothing like talking to someone, you can't replace expierience. My next issue will be more challenging, definately a donation answer!

Paul

Pcolucci
Yea I understand as I have been doing this for about 25 yrs now and it just keeps you learning more all the time as the vehicles keep changing. If there is anything more I can do just ask. Thanks again.

Racefan966
Because of your help, my air bag system is operating correctly, thanks again. Now as I said earlier here is the problem that I am having with my 98 Chevy Express Van that no one can figure out. It get's terrible gas mileage now. It used to get 14 to 15 on the highway now it gets about 10, and worse when we pull our camper. One day while driving I noticed that the temp gauge was reading about 150deg. After it was warmed up. Knowing that the temp controls the fuel mixture thru the computer I started looking at the thermostat and sensors to get it back in range (which should be 198 or so). I replaced the thermostat with a new 198 that didn, t fix it it would go to temp until the thermo opened up and then fall back down to 150deg. So I changed 1 of the 2 temp sensors. The one on the driver side head (it has a pigtail wire). It didn't seem to fit correctly(the pig tail wasn't long enough, however I installed it any way. Low and behold the temp gauge went up to 225. Wow, to hot, so now I don't know if the engine is actually overheating. I suspected it was the wrong part, which it was, after some investigating I returned it. Put the correct one in, back to 150 deg. There is 1 more temp sensor located on the thermostat housing so I replaced it, still no luck. That is where I am stopped, All sensors are new, new thermo, even a new radiator (had a leak) and still reads 150 after reaching full operating temp. Am I missing something? We don't drive it much because it eats gas. I'll add 2 more things, after I installed the first temp sensor ( the incorrect one) I did drive it for a while and the gas mileage did go back to the 14mpg that we were getting, also at one point I had taken off the thermostat housing for some reason and the ground wire for the temp sensor broke, I replaced it (just the end) with a crimp style connector. I don't know when or why this problem started but nobody that I've talked to can figure it out, and it's killing my wallet. I know this is a long letter but the more info you have the better chance you have of coming up with an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Pcolucci
Ok let see here you have bad mileage and the temp is down. Now are you sure the temp is 150? How did you figure that out? Is that what the guage is saying or has it been checked? If it hasn't been checked then I would have someone with an infered temp guage check the temp. Now we need to know what the temp is at the thermostat housing area and the heads and the lower hose. I also would like to know when was the fuel filter changed last? Get back to me with the needed info and we will go from there. Glad to hear the air bags are working again now lets see if we can get you MPG back.

Racefan966