CHEVY WON'T START WHEN COLD

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

I have 1997 silverado that will not start when it's cold. You can pour just a little amount of gas in the throttle body and it will start and run fine and will start again untill it cools off. What do you think about that? Thanks, dallas77
Dallas77

I would be disconnecting the intake air temp sensor and engine temp sensor and compare the resistance of the two, are they simliar in resistance?

Blackop555
Intake air temp 1368, coolant temp sensor 1568 they where close to what the book said for 80 degrees about 100-150 of differance service engine light has never been on at anytime. Thanks for your help on this if you know anything else let me know.

Dallas77
You gettign fuel pressure when vehicle wont start?

If you crank it enough will it fire over or do you have to have the fuel dumped in first? Once that is done does it fire over right away?

Make sure the injectors are putting out fuel right after key is turned to on and once again when cranking when cold

Blackop555
I have about 55lbs of fuel pressure before starting, it does start when you dump a little gas in the throttle body and will run fine and will refire when the motor is hot. Fuel pressure didn't drop after 15 minutes after motor is shut off, it doesn't drop very much when motor is running.I'm guess it's time to take to a shop that has the right computer to check this out. Thanks for all of your good advice!I could here the injectors but didn't see the gas in throttle body this is a SFI type throttle body

Dallas77
Yes thats SFI, I wish you post back with what they say is wrong and with a price and I can let you knwo if its legitimate or if it can even cause the problem.

Blackop555
I took it to the dealer believe it or not it was the fuel pump. They wanted 465.00 to replace the pump only.I did it myself for about 130.00 I did buy the pump from them because I bought one of those cheap pumps was the problem. It starts so good now!Thank you so much for your help!

Dallas77
Glad to hear it was able to be solved.

Sorry to hear it was something that was just replaced.

I never mess aroudn with them cheap fuel pumps as chances are your gonna replace it again soon enough.

Blackop555