CHEVY 4X4 NOT WORKING

1990 Chevrolet Silverado

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1990 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 237000 miles

Hi, I recently bought a 90 silverado 1500 went to enguage it in 4x4 and wont go into 4x4. The transfer case is fine its been checked, I jacked the front end up and enguaged it into 4x4 and was able to turn both wheels freely. I checked all the fuses and didnt see any that was bad. If you could help me out that would be great.
Thanks, Nick
Ruffryderrd90

Does it have a push button 4-wheel activator switch or do you have a 4 wheel shifter on the floor?
Do you have auto-locking hubs or manual hubs?

Pear69
It has automatic locking hubs and the 4x4 is on the floor

Ruffryderrd90
Your transfer case has a switch on it. There is a brown wire and a light blue wire on this switch. Make sure this switch is good. The lt. Blue wire activates the front axle solenoid -- it also activates the transfer case relay. Make sure this wire is good. The brown wire goes to the front axle switch and the convenience center. Make sure the front axle switch is good.
If you jump out this switch it may be easier to determine if the transfer case switch itself is bad.

Pear69
The brown wire is the power from the convienece center (or fuse block)

Pear69
Always check your actuator, I replace so many of those on trucks just ; ile yours, that is usely the common problem. Just take the actuator out and keep the wires attached and then put the truck in to 4x4 and if it extends then it is working properly.

Mitch0068
I see there is a 4WD fuse also.

RAYFINSEATS