MODELS BRAKE LIGHTS NOT STAYING ON

1995 Chevrolet Other

Brakes problem
1995 Other Chevrolet Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

When I step on the brake pedal very lightly the brake lights come on. Then there is a click in the steering column. When I press the pedal down further the brake lights do not stay on even the the car is braking fine. I just bought this conversion van and the previous owner told me the click in the steering column was a " safety feature" because you can only shift the car into gear from park when you depress the brake pedal to where that click sound is. Anyone have any thoughts? I need to get it inspected and this is the last hurdle.
Cindyw555

There is a system we call combination valve on your van. it incorporate the proportioning valve which limits rear brake pressure and delays rear wheel skid and the metering valve , which will not allow the front disc brakes to engage until the rear brakes contact the drum and The failure warning switch, which notifies the driver if one of the systems has a leak. The last one is the one showing brake warning light on your dash when you step on your brake pedal. this happens also when the pressure in the system is different.

here is the system:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_combination_valve_1.jpg

it is telling you that one of the system has leak.
check front and back brake lines, pistons and cylinders after you remove tires.
if there is no leak, and the brake fluid level is good,then probability for an shorted brake warning light system could be evident.
it will need inspection and testing with wiring diagram to find the offender.

Mathiaso