CHEVY THERMOSTAT INSTALLATION

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

Problem installing Thermostat

Hello, I have a 2000 Monte Carlo, with a 3.4 L engine. Engine was taking to long to warm up so decided to install another thermostat. Temp gage very slow moving. I disconnected the thermostat easily except for the lower bolt, took forever to get that thing out with a open in box wrench. The problem is the lower bolt of the thermostat housing. This bolt is nearly impossible to install with the thermostat housing installed first. There is some sort of pipe in the way; I don't know what it's called, but if it wasn't there, I would have finish this job in a hour or so. I tried to install the thermostat first by installing the lower bolt first; afterwards, I install the housing and upper bolt. Had a difficult time getting it to line up properly, which is probably why it leaked badly after starting the engine. Had to start all over! Very aggravated to say the least. Has anyone else experience this problem with installing a thermostat on a 3.4 engine? If so, what is the best way to repair this thing. Also need to know what is the best type of sealent to use. I tried something in a little brown bottle with an Indian head on it. Nothing but a mess, it didn't seal the thermostat properly according to the leak I had. Maybe I didn't let it dry long enough. Next go around, i'm using some kind of blue silcone sealant; It doesn't seem to work either. As soon as I tried to reinstall the housing, that crap fell off from the housing and the engine. Maybe, it is too cold out (20's). I would appreciate any assistance any of you can provide on the best way to install that lower bolt and the best sealant to use. Hope to hear from you soon!
Hillre

Hi Well I understand what your trying to say so to help u the first thing to do is above the housing is a throttle body which has 3 10millimeter nuts that hold that together and the there is a black tube that u were taking about that is the bypass for the coolant to run threw. Take that off and then u will have better access to the thermostat housing. For the gasket I will go to your local auto parts store and ask for the gasket that fits the car u are working on. Make sure the surface u r working on is dry and cleaned off well so it will stick to the surface. I hope this will help u in any way

De772601