STUCK TORQUE CONVERTER

1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1999 Chevy Monty Carlo, 95k miles, automatic transmission, 2 wheel drive, no strange sounds or fluid leaks. I have a check engine light on and the code was a stuck torque converter I believe.

The only problem I've really seen with performance is when I just start my car. If I try to go into drive or reverse, the engine revs a lot and the car moves very slow. It only does it when I first start my car and I think its better if I let it warm up. The only other performance problem is that it's shifting a little bit harder than it was a few months ago.

Only relevant service issue I can think of is that I went to Valvoleen and had my transmission fluid changed, and the fluid was thick and black after only 3 months, I'm not sure if my transmission did that or if they put old fluid in my car. They redid the service for free and the fluid looks good after a month now.

Thanks for you help!
Haagen4life

Sounds like they are right if even the key doesnt want to work. It is a pain to replace, but not impossible if you wanted to try it yourself. Inner door panel has to come off and might have to remove some window tracks to gain access to latch assembly

Jack42

I had the same occurrance. I had the drivers side actuator replaced my the dealer, but the passenger side went after my costguard warranty had expired. To save money, I purchased the part myself and took it to a collision shop for installation. I think it cost me 100 bucks out the door. So maybe you can investigate a reputable collision shop. Maybe?

As this happend may moons ago, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have at least tried it myself first.

Alwaystruckin
I would love to know how to fix this myself. I have been battling with this for a while. It will unlock somethimes, but then all of a sudden, it won't unlock and stays that way for awhile. The other doors work fine.
Any help would be great. Thanks!

Tarnoch
Thanks for getting back to me. My email is lindajojojo@yahoo. Com

Tarnoch
Sorry about that. I have a 1999 Ford Explorer 4wd. Not an xl, xlt, or a sport. With a 6cyl engine. Do you need more?

Tarnoch
Sorry about that. The driverside door lock will lock for awhile, then won't lock (doesn't affect any other door), then locks and won't come unlocked until numerous times (days) of hitting the unlock button while opening the door handle. Goes in a rotation of those steps.
Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I will help this site out

Tarnoch
Yes.

Tarnoch
Thank you !

Tarnoch
I have a 98 Ford Explorer with the same problem. The driver's side door will not open. When you try to unlock it, it clicks and the lock tries to go up, but it doesn't. It won't open from the inside or the outside. The dealer wants to charge 750 bucks to fix it, so needless to say I'm trying to figure it out myself. CAN ANYONE HELP? Thanks

Scottt
It basically happened all at once. It started out with the door kind of sticking and it took some effort to open it, but then in about a day it wouldn't open at all.

Scottt
Page 1 of 2