CHEVY STARTING PROBLEMS

2003 Chevrolet Malibu

2003 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

my car sometimes does not start but it does crank. This has been a problem for 8 months. I have been stranded 6 times. Every time I get it pulled to my house, it starts. I have replaced the fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator but problem still persist.
Joe garcia

Are you sure it is fuel pressure that is misisng when it wont start? Need to be sure has spark. Does the security light blink when it wont start?

Jack42
I did check the plugs and they do have spark. When the car turns on, it runs real good. This problem only happens about once a month.I have read about the similar problems other have had with these malibus.I drive it. It runs fine, and if I go to the store for example, and get back in to start the car, the motor turns but will not start.I do remember the theft system light blinking for a while, on one occasion I was driving the car. Do the keys on these cars have chips in them, I can not tell by looking at the key.

Joe garcia
You wont be able to by looking at it. Next time it wont start, turn key on for about 10 minutes or until the security light goes off then turn key off and try starting it, this will reset the anti-theft

Jack42
Just today sunday my car acted up again, I did as you told me about the ten minute key on acc so the computer could relearn the key and it worked, thanks a million. You saved me time from tearing into my relays to the gas pump, which is what I thought was the problem. Next question is can I bypass the security system by rewiring the key switch, I have knowled in the electrical parts in cars.

Joe garcia
Not sure to be honest, I have never tried. If you go here

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

you will find a full wiring diagram so you can judge for yourself if it is something you want to try

Jack42