CHEVY ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM

2002 Chevrolet Malibu

2002 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

Can't start my 2002 malibu! The car just clicks once then nothing. All the gauges work and the battery is good. The anti-theft light stays on and when I contacted the dealership to see if they could tell me how I could fix it, they just told me to bring it in. I read about the 10 min method but found that it did not work for me. I need HELP. Ireally need my car to work and this is such an inconvenience. Anybody with any advice please respond. And yes, this is my first time here. Thank you!
Mkbatley

Try to start then leave key on security light blinks for about ten min or until light stop blinking
key off then try to start if the security light blinking
and no start you may need to do it again two more times
total of 30 minutes
also you may want to check the starter too

BMRFIXIT
Thanks i'll try that. The starter is good I had it tested. And if that still doesn't work do I have to take it to the dealership? I am willing to try anything to not have to take it to the dealer. I think this is a total rip off. I JUST WANT TO GET IT STARTED!

Mkbatley
I finally got it fixed without taking it to the dealership. A friend told me to leave the key in the ignition on the on position till THE SECURITY LIGHT GOES OFF! I did this and I left the key in for about 3 hours. I was able to jumpstart but ended up having to buy a new battery because the battery would not hold a charge.

Mkbatley
The problem will return. This is a problem with GM cars built after 1998. The issue is the ignition switch. It senses the key in the ignition. If anything else is used to try to start the car it turns off the fuel to the engine. Gm is aware of the problem but has refused to address it.
A very common issue. The switch wears out and activates the anti theft. Leaving the switch on for 10 minutes or until the light goes out will reset it. Once the problem occurs you can expect it to happen again. Then more fequently. The only way to fix it right is to replace the ignition switch.( Part is over $100) When you get tired of the 10 minute delay you can spend the money. There is a way to bypass the anti-theft but it is best left to an alarm specalist.
Other option is to install remote start system.

Nailer
Its called a pass lock sensor. That is the part that goes bad. I would not suggest bypassing the system

Rhall77
I had the same problem with my Chevy Malibu 2005 (" Classic" ). It started one day when I looked down and seen my " Anti-Theft system" light on. I couldn't figure out why it just popped on for no reason. Later on that day I tried to start up my car and it wouldn't start. Over the next couple of days this became an inconvenience, and started to make me late for work and other events. So, I got smart and decided to first stick the key in, wait about 3 to 5 seconds, and Bam! It works like a charm! I realized that for some reason the car wasn't reading the key right, and that by sticking the key in for a few seconds gives it time to register. It's been about 5 months since that last incident and no problem since.

DaveWilliams