CHEVY CARS DIES AS I TAKE FOOT OFF GAS

1999 Chevrolet Lumina

1999 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 107000 miles

My 99 Lumina dies out on a regular basis as I take my foot off the gas. When I come to a stop, or make a turn and go to slow dow the car dies out. I do not get any warning light. The service tech told me the computer does not show up with anything, and he would have to start replacing different things until we find the right one. He also said it could be the voltage sensor that reads the key. But it only dies when not accelerating.

Please help,
Bill
Bjsw19

That mechanic doesn't know what he/she's talking about.

Trained technicians never, ever replace parts until we find what's wrong.

The proper way to diagnose a drivability problem is to isolate the system at fault (ignition/fuel/mechanical, etc.) Then test each component in a logical manner until we find the cause.

And even if your computer isn't setting any codes, a trained technician will do a " Drive Test" with the scanner hooked to your computer so that he/she can watch in real-time what your engine and its systems are doing.

Now, your issue sounds like a vacuum leak, but there's no way for me to determine this for sure. You can also have faulty sensor, such as a throttle position or mass air flow sensor.

But your best option is to take your vehicle to a competent mechanic who has experience with " Engine Performance" diagnostics.

Yes, a good mechanic costs good money. But if you " Replace" parts until you find the cause, I guarantee you that you'll spend waaay more money than just having a competent mechanic do it right the first time.

If you're too low on cash, here's a little consumer secret that the industry would be pretty mad about if I tell you.

Find an established shop that'll give you a free estimate.

What they'll do is diagnose your issue until they isolate the cause, then the service writer will make an order for a fix.

Then you write me back, and if it's a simple procedure, I'll walk you through fixing it yourself. Or you can find a buddy who's handy with a wrench and pay him to do it for you.

Ernest Clark