CHEVY TIMING BELT

2004 Chevrolet Impala

2004 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

At 161,000 miles, I have had absolutely no mechanical problems with my V6 Supercharged 2004 Impala SS (knock on wood). I am wondering if I should replace the timing belt as a precaution. If so, can I find instructions on-line as to how to do it? I am a competent weekend mechanic. On pre-emission vehicles.
Johntm

Yes, at 161,000 you should def chAnge your timing belt. You can go onto autozone. Com and look up your vehicle and there you will find step by step instructions and diagrams. I wont lie to you though, changing the timing belt is very tricky and time consuming

Jdubuya
I believe it has a timing chain

Jerrwdy
Last I heard the 6 has a timing chain

Jerrwdy
It does

Jdubuya
Thanks for the info folks.

My experience with timing chains is that over time, they stretch and alter the timing/performance of the engine.

Since it is a chain and not a belt, do you still think it needs to be changed now or possible to wait until a change in performance is noticed?

Johntm
If your engine is running fine, I would do nothing. A timing chain normally will not break, it will loosen some but if performance is ok, leave it alone

Jerrwdy