CHEVY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WON'T GO OFF.....

2004 Chevrolet Impala

Computer problem
2004 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Automatic 101000 miles

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala and I had a diagnostic run on it where they said I needed a new EGR Valve and gasket. I had new ones put and they cleared the code. Then the Check engine light came back on. What else could it be? I even tried disconnecting the battery but the light doesnt even go off for a second. It remains on no matter what. Suggestions? Should I still take it to Emissions testing anyways or would it fail automatically cause of the light?
Prico1025

What was the code, and was it the same code?Does this vehicle have a 3.4 or 3.8L?Too things will cause this, an egr that is not opening and closing and heavy carbon build up in the egr tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold, they get plugged, very common on the 3.4L. Post back with what you find.

Brian 1
Thanks for your response. The code that came up was code P0401 and after I replaced the EGR Valve and gasket like the mechanic said I scanned it again and it's still the same code. THe guy at autozone said it could be the EGR pressure or position sensor but the mechanic never mentioned those. Oh and It has a 3.4L.. What you think?

Prico1025
I would remove the egr and check the egr port from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold for a restriction.I would also use a scan tool to command the egr open and closed, it might not be working. You also might have a problem with the egr circuit from the ecm to the egr.

Brian 1