CHEVY POSSESSED CAR STEREO

2001 Chevrolet Impala

2001 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

I have a 2001 chevy impala with a factory stereo. It has FM/AM/CD/Cassette and is malfunctioning. The steering column controls and the buttons on the radio face sometimes work. A lot of times I cant change stations or from CD to Radio. And when I have the radio on sometimes it starts to scan the stations without me pushing anything. The only things that work on a regular basis is the volume and channel knobs. However, if I change the station with the knob that doesnt stop it from scanning. I talked to one guy on the phone and he told me that it was probably the stereo going out and that I should have a new one put in. Is there anything I can check to diagnose the problem further so I dont spend money chasing this problem. Please help save my driving sanity!
Bsmuvyall

It could be the stereo itself, is the air bag light on by chance? Sometimes the " clockspring" in the column (contact between steering wheel and column) goes bad it can cause the steering wheel controls to do odd things as the contact shorts out. Usually they will light the air bag light when they go out, but not always. This may be one of those things that you just have to try one or the other to see which fixes it. You could also try having the computer scanned for body codes, if the clockspring is bad it may have set a code, which would point you away from the stereo itself

Jack42
There wasnt any light on. This morning the controls worked just fine on the way to work. And sometimes it is ok, but other times, none of the buttons work on the steering column OR on the stereo face.

If it is too hard to diagnose, which direction would you suggest heading first? Should I get a new stereo and see if that fixes it, or should I get someone to check out the wiring from the steering column?

Bsmuvyall
If the stereo controls on the wheel dictate when the stereo itself is going to work, then it is most likely the clock spring. Does turning the wheel change anything when it isnt working?

Jack42