CHEVY IGNITION PROBLEMS

2006 Chevrolet Equinox

2006 Chevy Equinox 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

Purchased used less than 6 months ago. Ignition stuck a few times but didn't really pay that much attention. Now key comes out of switch in auxillary position (radio still on, steering wheel nor gear shift will lock, key bell rings and battery will run dead) and even while car running. GM dealer said key worn and tumblers needed lubricating, wanting to charge $135. Needless to say, I declined. I have 2 keys (one that's rarely worn) and both do the same thing. If tumblers were worn, wouldn't it prevent key from turning on, not off. According to Carfax, ignition switch replaced 2 years ago. Can anyone give me suggestions? I have extended warranty but am being told this is normal wear and tear on the vehicle. Help.
MattiD

Another thing that has to be looked at is the cable that run's from the shifter to the ignition housing that if the shifter is in any other position then park the cable won't allow the key to be turned back past the acc position to the off and lock position. If the cable was the problem the cable could be out of adjustment or the shifter could be sticking and not allowing the cable to return to the correct position. Also if the key isn't worn out and the key will come out in acc position then you have worn tumbler's. You could have two problem's the cable and now you know the tumbler's. The best way to check the cable is to remove the ignition cylinder and you can see if the cable is sticking up too far for the cylinder to turn off when the shifter is in park.