CHEVY CAR SPUTTERING...

1980 Chevrolet El Camino

1980 Chevy El Camino 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

It takes a few pumps of the gas to get the car started. Once it gets started it " sputters" until I take off. It runs fine as the car is accelerating and maintaining speed. No stops or stalls. Once I get to a red light/ stop sign/ heavy traffic and come to a complete stop the car will slowly die. It doesn't happen all the time though, only occasionally. It just seems like its not getting enough fuel.

I'm thinking I need to change the fuel filter. Could it possibly be anything else? Like the carbuetor or fuel pump?

The most important question is: How do I change the fuel filter? Is there a free online diagram or a good website? I haven't browsed this site yet so maybe this is the one.
Dcd5269

'80 was start year for the computerized fuel systems. Is yours throttle body injected or carbed? If carbed, is it a dual jet(2 barrel) or a quadrajet(4 barrel)? Please advise.

James W.
Wow. I'm not sure if it is throttle body injected or carbed. It has a carburetor. How would I find this out?

I also don't know if it is a 2 barrel or a 4 barrel. How would I go about finding this information?

Dcd5269